Posted on 10th October 2017
Michael Jackson: On The Wall
National Portrait Gallery
28 June – 1 October 2018
The National Portrait Gallery have announced Michael Jackson: On the Wall, a landmark exhibition exploring how Michael Jackson has inspired some of the leading names in contemporary art. Curated by Dr Nicholas Cullinan, Director of the National Portrait Gallery, London, this major new exhibition spanning several generations of artists across all media will open in the summer of 2018, to coincide with what would have been Michael Jackson’s 60th birthday.
Jackson is one of the most influential cultural figures to come out of the 20th century and his legacy continues into the 21st century. His significance is widely acknowledged when it comes to music, music videos, dance, choreography and fashion, but his impact on contemporary art is an untold story.
In addition to breaking records for the most albums sold, awards won and cultural barriers overturned, Michael Jackson has become the most depicted cultural figure in visual art by an extraordinary array of leading contemporary artists since Andy Warhol first used his image in 1982. Artists featured include: Isa Genzken, Maggi Hambling, David LaChapelle, Paul McCarthy, Catherine Opie, Yan Pei Ming, Grayson Perry, Andy Warhol and Jordan Wolfson, among many others. For the first time, Michael Jackson: On the Wall will bring together the works of over 40 artists.
The exhibition will not only ask why so many contemporary artists have been drawn to Jackson as a subject, but also why he continues to loom so large in our collective cultural imagination.
Exclusive Michael Jackson Partnership Package – £22,000+VAT
The National Portrait Gallery are offering a unique opportunity to secure a premium date during the opening two weeks of the exhibition. These dates are held exclusively for Michael Jackson Partners, who can also enjoy a bespoke range of benefits including:
- A secured date for a complimentary reception during the opening two weeks
- A talk at your premises by one of the Gallery’s own curatorial team working on the exhibition for your staff and clients
- A range of benefits for a 12 month period including 50% discount on any future event hire during that time, complimentary catalogues and discounts in our shops, café and restaurant
- Five double invitations to the Gallery’s own exclusive Private View, launching the Michael Jackson exhibition
- Free and unlimited staff or client entry plus guest to the exhibition
Michael Jackson: On the Wall is set to be the blockbuster exhibition in London’s summer calendar.
The events diary is now open for event bookings.
Email email@example.com for more details.